Scrabble

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Fri May 30 11:56:16 EDT 2003

In a message dated 5/30/03 3:30:30 AM Central Daylight Time, Sally Odgers
writes:

> I have a tiny bit of experience with this reining in thing - and it doesn't
> tend to make most people feel good. I enjoy playing Scrabble, but the only
> person with whom I can play a fair-handed game is myself. If playing with
> social players or with my kids or most relatives, I had to rein in so as not
> to beat them by much - if at all. Thus they either complain that I'm not
> trying, or won't play me because I *am* trying.
>
> However, if I play with a *good* habitual player - i.e. my own sister or one
> particular acquaintance- I almost always lose.

You sound about my speed! Perhaps we should play email Scrabble :-) I don't
play it very often because my husband isn't really up to my speed (I once beat
him three games running when I was in the hospital with a temperature of 103
or so), and the two family members who really like the game play it much better
than I do. I expect there will be a point when my kids will be pretty good
sparring partners for me.

I like playing it with the OED as the reference dictionary, which means one
can make up likely-sounding words and they turn out to be in there -- I once
won a game due to scoring a lot of points on "quab."

I am sure there must be a way of handicapping the games to make them more
exciting between unequal players. Now that I think about it, this would be a good
thing to work on.

Helen Schinske