Merlin (with spoilers) Grundo, Coercion

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Fri May 30 11:52:15 EDT 2003

Jodel
<Just twigged to another replay reversal here. I
think someone else refered to
it as well.

Nick and Maree are similar to Roddy and Grundo,
of course and blindingly so.
With no coercions on either side. However. the
real configuration we are
getting a flip side to is Cat and Gwendolyn
chant. In both cases, the younger boy
is clinging to the older girl, in both cases the
boy's innate magical strength
is greater, in both cases the boy has a genuine
handicap that has to be worked
around. And in both cases the story is told from
the point of view of the
person being used. Where it differs is that in
this case the girl did volunteer
for the position in the first place, and the boy
is not using her for ignoble
means, he is using her to survive.

On Tue, 27 May 2003, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

> Hmmm.  Do you think the difference has anything

to do with Grundo's
> using magic to get what he wants, rather than
figuring out
> non-magical ways to do it?

	Yeah, there is something nastily coercive about
that, isn't there?
And I say that as someone who *did* warm to
Grundo, I found him very
charming. But what he did was deeply unscrupulous

and I was very glad to
see that it looked like his father was going to
try to take him in hand!
(Though I am not sure that Romanov would be much
use in this context, and
he certainly hasn't shown signs of being a
stellar father. Still, better
than nothing. Probably.) (Must say I take quite a

bit of fun in imagining
the consequences for Romanov now that it looks
like he's to be a full time
Daddy!) After all it is one thing to cast a
glamour on someone when you
are a tot of three in a rather desperate
situation, it is another thing to
keep that glamour there for years and years as
you grow older & able not
only to learn to fend for yourself but also to
understand how wrong the
glamour is. And Grundo *does* understand that it
is wrong. But it's easier
to keep it going. Mind you if Grundo *had* found
a non-magical way of
getting what he needed in that situation it might

have been unpleasant
too.  Children in that kind of miserable
situation can often become very
adept at emotional blackmail or other
manipulative mindgames, as well as
physical violence, and these tactics can be very
hard to unlearn once they
grow old enough not to need the edge they get
from them any more...

AnnaI feel that a magical person using magic to
coerce someone is
qualitatively different from a non-magical person

using non-magical means
to coerce someone. Both can be seen as people
using every weapon in their
armouries. Certainly a magical person using non
magical means to get what
they want is displaying some self control, for
whatever reason.

Sally
Do we tell a natural runner to
slow down in the race so the
less gifted can keep up?
Jodel
>I also thought that Grundo was a weird, silly
name.  Am I missing some =
great joke here?

Charles
I don't think it counts as a joke - but Grundo is

(IIRC) the name of the =
magical land where Teddy Ruxpin lives! Whether
DWJ was thinking of that =
I don't know - otherwise the word reminds me of
'grunge' more than =
anything.
Sally
She opined (very PC) that you should
never judge people by the way
they dress. I opine that anyone who wears a
threatening scowl and jingles
with chains and has nasty comments tattooed on
their hands is likely to be
treated with caution -  and with good reason.

=====
Ven