Derk makes me uneasy

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Thu May 29 07:36:04 EDT 2003

Philip:
 They have intelligence and speech, but little or no
> manipulation.  How will they care for themselves when Derk is gone?  Will
they
> survive in the wild?  How useful will their brains be then?

This reminds me of a bit in Colin Tudge's book _The Variety of Life_ where
he's discussing the limitations of intelligence as an evolutionary
advantage. Imagine, he says, a fish with the intelligence of Jane Austen.
Would it survive better than any other fish? It would not - in fact it would
probably have a nervous breakdown before being snapped up by a pike.

Charlie