Merlin -- intended audience data/'universe' or 'world'

Denise DeGraf moggy at sonic.net
Wed May 28 18:00:00 EDT 2003

Rowland, Jennifer A B danced around singing:
>The travel between worlds reminded me of the Place Between in LoCC.
>Especially the rocky trail, obviously, but also the way Nick slips into the
>wood, and the leaping between the islands that the goat leads. It just feels
>similar.

It also reminds me of the travel between worlds in Homeward Bounders and
also in Hexwood.

>What else makes me think that the "worlds" are universes is probably the
>Ayewards/Naywards thing- I find it easier to think of universes which are
>more or less magical, rather than planets within the same universe. DS and
>Merlin certainly seem different to Hexwood to me, and I think that is set
>all in one cosmos.

Just off the top of my head -- I get the impression that it's a case of
there being many linked sets of universes with different levels of magic
taking place in each one, and different Powers existing in each
multiverse.  The characters don't seem to be capable of going outside their
own multiverse based on the events in the various books...  So Chrestomanci
would be the magical ruler of his multiverse, but the Reigners are the ones
in control in theirs, the Magid network exists in DS & Merlin, so on and so
forth.  There are distinct differences between multiverses, too -- the
Chrestomanci's universes are structured so magic is focused in the souls of
living beings, whereas the multiverse that Merlin/DS take place in
specifies that the magic comes from nature.

I also get the impression that there can be related multiverses in the same
sense that there are multiverses of related universes, or as DWJ calls
them, the Related Worlds.  That would explain why there are near-identical
characters at various ages scattered throughout the multiverses -- they're
probably the same individuals on the most basic level.  I felt like the
powers in Hexwood and those in Homeward Bounders were distinctly related,
while Deep Secret, Merlin, and Sudden Wild Magic certainly seemed to have
similar structures for their magic users iirc.

Denise DeGraf ~*~ http://www.sonic.net/mustang/moggy
"You're a hero.  You *can't* be a coward!"
"Oh, can't I just!"
-- Diana Wynne Jones