Merlin. Minor Spoilers.

Denise DeGraf moggy at sonic.net
Wed May 28 17:25:09 EDT 2003

Philip.Belben at eme.co.uk danced around singing:
>Now the Guide to Dalemark says very little about it, except to link it
>with "the
>basic pattern of a net".  Some centuries previously, Mallard and Tanamil made
>amulets for the defenders of Credindale, on which was painted a # sign to
>represent a net.  I think (less sure about this) that Roddy also mentions
>the #
>symbol in connection with the Knots and Crosses spell.
>
>But what is #?  It is the game board for playing NOUGHTS and Crosses!  If you
>speak with a Scottish accent, "Noughts" and "Knots" are pronounced
>identically,
>I believe.

You're right, she does -- I just finished reading the book yesterday and
she specifically states near the end that the net-type spells are done with
either the hash used for the game tic-tac-toe, or a cat's cradle.  Also I
believe that in TLoCC the idea of using a cat's cradle is mentioned at
least once, and wasn't a net also used to capture many of Gabriel's
lives?  (Or am I mixing that up with the short story in Mixed Magics?)

Denise DeGraf ~*~ http://www.sonic.net/mustang/moggy
"People are strange.  Usually they're much
stranger than you think.  Start from there and
you'll never be unpleasantly surprised."  -- DWJ