Merlin Conspiracy Ven's Ist impressions

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Wed May 28 13:49:29 EDT 2003

On Mon, 26 May 2003, Ven wrote:

> <too little made of Nick's cat.>
>
> I sort of wonder what Nick's panther was doing
in
> this book, though it's a very nice panther and
> all.

Anna replied

	<I would have liked to see more of him too. I
suppose he served a
purpose in foreshadowing Nick's great magical
powers, but I would have
really liked to know what he was for exactly,
what else he could do and
what his relationship with Nick was going to
be... especially since (if I
remember correctly, I must re-read) at one point
he seemed to be with Nick
and at another point he was busy with his own
stuff & didn't want to be
bothered with Nick. It was intriguing. I suppose
most of that explanation
would happen during Nick's training though, which
is some time after the
end of the book... <sigh>>

Merlin does seem to demand that yet another book
is written about Nick. And btw the panther is a
girl! But don't feel too badly about it Anna,
Nick made the same mistake too. A really weird
bit of gender confusion occured to a friend of
mine who spent the first half of the book
convinced that Roddy was a boy! Even when Roddy
appeared to Nick in the tunnels my friend thought
this was just an illusion. She has promised to
take more care over reading complicated names in
future(!), she had just skimmed over Arianrod
without noticing how it was pronounced and where
it came from (Celtic goddess with the original
moving castle irrc).

Anna
<	And while we're giving first impressions I
think my favourite
scene in the book was when Nick was given his
Loggia City Public Works 1
Standard Meal Token and had to climb up from
level 11 to level 14, passing
levels 11a, 11b, 12, 12a, 12b, 13, 13a, and 13b
to redeem it for his
choice of nipling and colly or klaptico. Life is
so often like that :-)

So many scenes, so hard to choose........... Nick
on the phone to Sybil has to be one (BAsil! I
wonder if this is a deliberate Faulty Towers
reference, though that Sybil aspired to rather
more refinement). Following the goat through the
worlds is another, especially when it led them
into the snooty school library. I wonder if
Romanov actually had to rely on the goat's
assistance in world travelling before Mini came
along. Nick certainly did him a favour there, if
that's the case.

I was about to ask in what way was Nick's rescue
of Mini selfish until I realised he had to help
three people (beings). That was definitely
deliberate on Dwj's part.

I'm still not entirely sure about which three
encounters on the Paths actually count as Nick's
three helpful acts -- Mini is obviously one and
Roddy another but I'm not sure about the
embroiderers. I have a feeling that it may have
been the Prayermaster since he put a tracer on
Nick to locate Romanov.

=====
Ven