Merlin. Minor Spoilers.

Philip.Belben at eme.co.uk Philip.Belben at eme.co.uk
Wed May 28 12:55:34 EDT 2003

I'm thanking whoever one thanks that the list traffic hasn't been very high for
the last few days.  The BookCrossing list has been firing nearly 150 messages a
day at me, but I've finally cleared my backlogs and can get out of lurkdom...

Rather than joining in the discussion on Nick and Selfishness, I'd like to pick
up on a point that someone made about Roddy being like Tanaqui.

One of the spells Roddy got from the woman with the injured hip was "That old
favourite, Knots and Crosses".  Old favourite?  The only place I've met it was
in Tanaqui's cottage, where Manaliabrid had used it to bind the Adon's sword.

Now the Guide to Dalemark says very little about it, except to link it with "the
basic pattern of a net".  Some centuries previously, Mallard and Tanamil made
amulets for the defenders of Credindale, on which was painted a # sign to
represent a net.  I think (less sure about this) that Roddy also mentions the #
symbol in connection with the Knots and Crosses spell.

But what is #?  It is the game board for playing NOUGHTS and Crosses!  If you
speak with a Scottish accent, "Noughts" and "Knots" are pronounced identically,
I believe.

So could DWJ be perpetrating a horrible pun on us?  Yes, of course she could!

Or is "Noughts and Crosses" connected with "Knots and Crosses" in our own
history?

Thoughts, anyone?

Philip.

prohibited.

Registered address:

Registered in England & Wales No. 2366923.