Where does Witchy Dance come from?

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue May 27 18:32:01 EDT 2003

Charlie wrote:

>I've just re-read _Deep Secret_, and I can't figure out where Nick and
>Maree got the idea of the Witchy Dance for Luck in the first place. I'm
>sure I've just read too fast and missed something -- does anyone happen to
>remember? or have a theory, if it isn't as obvious as that?
>
>This is probably too ill-formed and hunchy to count a theory, but what
>that flick flick flick reminds me of is the flicking/sprinkling of holy
>water.

I have seen this done by healers who have been working on something like a
migraine or a cancer; they flick their wrists as if they were flicking down
an old-fashioned thermometer, towards the sea or somewhere they think can
absorb the bad stuff they have been taking out of the person they've been
healing.

Which is sort of the opposite of asperging, now I look at it: throwing
badness into water to cleanse it rather than throwing cleansing water onto
badness.  Oh well.

Minnow