Merlin (with spoilers was RE: Ready for Merlin?

Anna Clare McDuff amcduff at math.sunysb.edu
Tue May 27 17:44:16 EDT 2003

On Tue, 27 May 2003, Charles Butler wrote:

> > Another question then: are there other examples of characters (other
> > than villains, obviously) using magic for ends which are essentially
> > selfish, and how do they react?  Oh yes, Polly doing the spying just
> > came to mind, and she's the first to say it was a terrible thing to
> > do - other ones?
>
> Howl and his love charms spring to mind.

	Oh yeah! And there's Archer's Goon as well, Howard (and everyone
else) is left dealing with the consequences of Venturus' selfish misuse of
magic (in fact Howard wouldn't *exist* without Venturus' selfish misuse of
magic which adds an interesting spin to Jodel's point about how DWJ
explores selfishness while showing that there are many shades of grey).
And there's Torquil... I've always felt that Torquil is not really a
villain & more of a selfish, spoiled wizard.

	Anna