Merlin (with spoilers was RE: Ready for Merlin?

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Tue May 27 14:48:49 EDT 2003

Ven:

>Yes I think this was the idea. I really didn't
>take to Grundo he reminds me a bit of Sam in Time
>City, another unappealing boy. I find Grundo more
>reprehensible than Nick was in DS but then Nick
>didn't have to enchant Maree to act like his big
>sister.

Hmmm.  Do you think the difference has anything to do with Grundo's
using magic to get what he wants, rather than figuring out
non-magical ways to do it?  I certainly didn't warm to Grundo as much
as to Nick (Nick in DS), but am not sure how much of that is about
the characterisation in the two books, and how much about their
relative 'reprehensibility'.  Though I'm still struggling with how I
feel about not having properly noticed Zinka's using magic to get
what she wants with/from the young man on the stairs before.

Another question then: are there other examples of characters (other
than villains, obviously) using magic for ends which are essentially
selfish, and how do they react?  Oh yes, Polly doing the spying just
came to mind, and she's the first to say it was a terrible thing to
do - other ones?

Hallie.