Leavitt "The Dollmage"

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Tue May 27 14:39:59 EDT 2003

Hi all. Well, I just finished Martine Leavitt's "The Dollmage". Wow.
I hope I can find more from this author - has anyone here read her
other books. I do discuss the ending a bit below, so if you haven't
read it, don't continue unless you want is spoiled a little.

What struck me most powerfully as I read was that Leavitt managed to
give us something that I've not seen before (or remembered anyway) -
a completely unsympathetic narrator.

Some of the writing at times was reminiscent of Ursula LeGuin (which
is, of course, a Good Thing).

And, I'll admit that I was a little thrown by the ending. I was all
geared up for tragedy and she gave us the resolution I had hoped for,
but not expected. Not that I had hoped that Renoa and Areth would die
(well, maybe Areth!), but the ending was appropriate for the
"message" that the book was pointing us toward: that hatred and fear
are the easy way and love and contentment and kindness are the hard,
but better way. I've just read so many books that have gone for the
inevitable sad ending, I was a little surprised that the "good"
character was rewarded in the end. Not that she didn't suffer her
share of pain and grief.

Two passages stick in my mind (and will be recorded in my "book of
quotes"). Both are from Chapter 7 (The Recipe Doll) and talk about
the main "message" of the book that I mentioned above and another of
the major themes of the book, "fear":

"Annakey stood tall. Something inside her had changed, and I had not
seen it. Or perhaps I changed, for until that moment I had
interpreted her gentleness and cheer for weakness, not knowing the
strength it took to choose it. Now I saw her strength."

"Do not pretend you do not know of what I speak. Do we not all fear
the power that is in us to do good, to love, to make the world
better? It is not our dark souls that frighten us. We are familiar
with that part of ourselves. It is the glorey parts, the singing,
ploughing, dreaming, loving parts that terrify us."

blessings

widdy

--
Fairy tales are not true--fairy tales are important, and they are not
true, they are more than true. Not because they tell us that dragons

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net