Brust's "Issola" -- spoilers

Emma Comerford emmaco at tpg.com.au
Tue May 27 07:41:27 EDT 2003

At 12:14  20/05/03 -0500, Ian W. Riddell wrote:
>Well, I just finished Brust's "Issola", the most-recent Vlad Taltos novel.
>If you don't want the ending spoiled, don't read further down this message.

>This one makes up for "Dragon" (which I didn't really like as much as the
>other books). Wow! A little exposition heavy at the beginning. But the ending!
>
>I decided that Teldra was my favorite character in the entire series about
>5 pages before she "died". I had to put the book down for a few minutes
>after that happened. Then I read on. I'll be really interested to see
>where Brust takes this now that Vlad has a semi-sentient weapon which is
>imbued with the soul (?) of Teldra.
>
>And now, having rushed through all 9 books in the series in record time, I
>have to wait. At least I have his other books set in this world to pass
>the summer!
>
>ian
>--

I too have just finished the Vlad Taltos novels (I coudln't tear my eyes
off Issola until I'd finished it last night) and am a definite fan. I'd
read a few Brusts here and there, but a serious reading run of the books in
order (publication order) is definitely to be recommended. I couldn't stop
laughing aloud in many of them, and admire Brust's many different methods
of telling and presenting stories. I can't even pick a favourite. It was
bittersweet reading _Issola_ knowing that it was the last of the Taltos
books published (so far) (I hope)

And I like Teldra too! And the turning-into-great-weapon certainly was a twist.

Thanks to all the ardent fans on the list who convinced me to read the series!

Emma