OT: sally watson back in print!

Anna Clare McDuff amcduff at math.sunysb.edu
Sat May 24 03:15:18 EDT 2003

On Fri, 23 May 2003, deborah wrote:

> Sally Watson is not a writer of Quality Literature, in the DWJ sense of
> quality.

	<grin> In me you address not only afan of DWJ, but also a fan of
the *Chalet* *School* novels; I know & value my un-Quality Literature!

 Her books are great fun, romps in which a girl in a historical
> setting (ranging from 1500s Britain to 1930s Trans-Jordan/Palestine, at
> my best recollection) has a funky feminist coming of age.  So a 19th
> century teenager becomes a pirate who frees slaves rather than becoming
> a lady, and a 17th century girl runs away from home and lives with
> pickpockets, and a perky little Jacobite does her bit for Bonny Prince
> Charlie.  They tend to wear boy's clothes.  My favorite two, by far, are
> Jade and Linnet, and it looks like Linnet hasn't come back into print,
> yet.  Very 1960s, and very fun.

	They do sound like fun. I will keep an eye peeled! And I see this
is where all your little sigs come from, I've been enjoying those...

	These reprints don't seem to be available at either Amazon.co.uk
or Amazon.com or amazon.ca, which is peculiar, but I tracked down the
website of that publisher you mentioned:

http://www.imagecascade.com

	Wow. Actually I was just saying this to someone off list, but
I haven't read a lot of American girl's books of the early/mid 20th C.
I've read a lot of 19th C/late 20th C American girl's books and a lot of a
Britsh early/mid 20th C ones, but that is a definite gap in my reading.
Looking at this website makes me think I had better get to work to plug
it! I don't know whether I'd enjoy these books or not, but I would like to
find out...

	Anna