Merlin -- intended audience data/'universe' or 'world'

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri May 23 14:55:52 EDT 2003

Anna wrote:

"It's quite strange reading books set in the same universe but written for
different age groups... "

and Hallie wrote:

"Maybe the same age in fact, but written for a younger audience?"

When asked the question "Did you write *The Merlin Conspiracy* for a
younger audience than *Deep Secret*?" DWJ replied, unequivocally,

"No, it just got published that way."

I personally find it helpful in my assessment of the two books in relation
to each other to be aware that they were not written for different
age-groups, and that the decision about which age-group the books were
marketed at was made not by the author but by the publisher.

By the way, I'm not certain about it being 'the same universe'.  DWJ has
carefully called the different places 'worlds', but Blest is an analogue of
Britain, and I begin to wonder how much each 'world' is rather more similar
to the places in the Chrestomanci set-up than to a different planet (as it
were, and taking C.S. Lewis' explanation for where Narnia is, a place you
can't get to except by magic).  At the beginning of DS Rupert says 'across
the multiverse', which implies that there is more than one universe
involved.

DWJ is on record as saying that 'planes are the flat places, and dimensions
are the ones with corners', when trying to define the different places one
might end up if one moved out of the here-now to Somewhere Else, but I
don't think I ever came across how she would distinguish a different
universe from a different world.

Minnow