Ready for Merlin?

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Thu May 22 18:57:39 EDT 2003

>So let's start:
>
>Do people think this Nick is the same Nick from DS?  I'm not sure he's
>as selfish as he and Maree tell us he is.  Even pretending to be...

Well, he's a bit older, isn't he? And also having had those adventures
might have mellowed his selfishness. I also think he uses it as an excuse
in a backwards pride kind of way: "I'm selfish, so I don't have to do X". I
think it is arguable, though, whether Nick ever does anything he truly
doesn't want to do. He's not *lazy*, but he does things because his
interest has been piqued or he is hoping for a return of some kind, rather
than because he thinks something is the right thing to do. I think it is an
interesting attribute in a protagonist, because stereotypical heroes are
often characterised by being the opposite of selfish.

Robyn