Mind control in days of yore

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Sun May 18 09:06:29 EDT 2003

On Sun, 18 May 2003, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

> Yeah, it's from chi for Kristos, rather than the cross.

In my medieval art class, we were shown a lot of examples of chi rho pages
from illustrated manuscripts, like the book of Kells and the Lindisfarne
bible. Sometimes they just made the first letter really big and did nifty
art stuff with it; but they tended to take up the whole page with artwork
around the chi and the rho. I don't know what they did with the rest of
the word. :^) (Also, since this class took place after lunch, and was a
three-hour stretch in a darkened room looking at slides, I occasionally
nodded off a bit, and I think that happened for the beginning of the
discussion of chi rho pages, because for a little while I couldn't see
what Cairo had to do with Celtic Christian artwork. :^)