Mind control in days of yore

hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Sun May 18 05:06:54 EDT 2003

Anna:
> 	I'm not quite sure how old it is, but quite old is my guess. In
> English we sometimes call "X" a criss cross which is derived I think from
> Christ-cross. I wouldn't be surprised if the idea of representing Christ
> with a simple cross dated back to before the word "cross" entered the
> vocabulary of these shores... It seems like a fairly obvious step to me...
> But what do I know? And after staying up too late last night it is going
> to take a Very Long Time before I can face immersing myself in the tiny
> print of my OED in the hopes of finding out...

It just occurred to me that the cross might also be there to represent the first letter of 'Christ', which is indeed X (chi?) in Greek. The crossiness of it does seem rather fortuitous, though (if not crucial), and can't have hurt in gaining the abbreviation wider circulation.

> 	But back to the original question. I was thinking: Xtian good guys
> may be out of the question, but what about demonic possession? Do you
> think that might be somewhat analogous to your master/slave mind control?

That's a very interesting suggestion! So long as the demon takes over the mind as well as the body of its victim (assuming these things are easily distinguished). Thank you, I shall go and ponder that one.

Charlie