Mind control in days of yore

Anna Clare McDuff amcduff at math.sunysb.edu
Sun May 18 04:50:02 EDT 2003

On Sun, 18 May 2003, Charles Butler wrote:

> Kathleen:
> > > in Xianity presumably you submit your will to God's by volition.
> > >

> > I came across this spelling in the OED as well. Why is it so? (Not for
> > length, obviously, as "volition" is longer).
>
> X for Christ is fairly common, isn't it? Think Xmas. Presumably the
> cross-shaped letter is an iconic representation of the crucifixion
> (admittedly it's a St Andrew's cross, but when do we ever want to say
> anything as short for St Andrew?). I don't know when it dates from (anyone?)
> but it's certainly pre-email and text-messaging!

	I'm not quite sure how old it is, but quite old is my guess. In
English we sometimes call "X" a criss cross which is derived I think from
Christ-cross. I wouldn't be surprised if the idea of representing Christ
with a simple cross dated back to before the word "cross" entered the
vocabulary of these shores... It seems like a fairly obvious step to me...
But what do I know? And after staying up too late last night it is going
to take a Very Long Time before I can face immersing myself in the tiny
print of my OED in the hopes of finding out...

	But back to the original question. I was thinking: Xtian good guys
may be out of the question, but what about demonic possession? Do you
think that might be somewhat analogous to your master/slave mind control?

	Anna