Mind control in days of yore

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Sun May 18 03:56:23 EDT 2003

Kathleen:
> > in Xianity presumably you submit your will to God's by volition.
> >

> I came across this spelling in the OED as well. Why is it so? (Not for
> length, obviously, as "volition" is longer).

X for Christ is fairly common, isn't it? Think Xmas. Presumably the
cross-shaped letter is an iconic representation of the crucifixion
(admittedly it's a St Andrew's cross, but when do we ever want to say
anything as short for St Andrew?). I don't know when it dates from (anyone?)
but it's certainly pre-email and text-messaging!

Charlie