Mind control in days of yore

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Fri May 16 14:39:51 EDT 2003

A bit of an OT request this, but maybe the collective wisdom of the group
can save me from a shocking error? I'm currently writing an essay about
enchantment and hypnotism in children's books, and I'm awfully tempted to
makes a categoric statement to the effect that complete mind control of the
'Yes master I will obey' variety didn't make an appearance in literature
until well after
Mesmer - that basically it's a 19th century-till-now thing.

Of course, enchantment existed, and in many forms. It involved physical
effects (Circe) or physical abilities (as when Prospero uses the power of
suggestion to make Ferdinand go all weak and wobbly) or physical perceptions
(e.g. fairy glamour) or the affections (love potions, etc) or memory, or
sleep - but I
can't think of a single example that involves the absolute dominion of one
will over another. Can you?

Charlie