Plagiarizing?

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Fri May 16 12:46:31 EDT 2003

I agree that a lot of students arrive at college woefully ignorant about
research and documentation. I teach composition, and I spend a lot of time
in class explaining how and why we document. This is why I am then really
tough on plagiarisers. If I spend 3 or 4 classes talking about these issues
and working with them on understanding them, I am not at all open to the
"didn't understand what to do" excuse.

>- We are hearing from more and more students that there is so much grade
>pressure (they need high grades to get into grad school or to get the job
>they want) and so much work to do that they feel they don't have any other
>choice.

I hear this, too, especially from non-native English speakers. But if I
catch them, they get an F. And I say this a number of times during the
semester. So if they have any sense at all, it isn't a logical reason. I
think this is what they say to get sympathy when they are being interviewed
about the plagiarism. It sounds better than "I couldn't be bothered".

Robyn