More on Magid

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu May 15 15:06:40 EDT 2003

Ros wrote:

>> Minnow:
>> > I wonder what a Hebrew translation of DS or Merl would have for 'magid'.
>> > I'd tend to assume it would be some word based on whatever the Hebrew
>now
>> > is for 'magic', rather than being a word related to (checks back-posts)
>> > that for 'a (usually itinerant) Jewish preacher or teacher', which was
>> what
>> > Ros said 'maggid' means.

>I didn't exactly say that 'maggid' *means* that. "Maggid" refers to a kind
>of Jewish preacher at a particular historical period.  But this is an
>interesting question, because "maggid" is actually a word in modern Hebrew
>as well. If the Hebrew translation used DWJ's term "Maggid", might it be
>confusing to Hebrew speakers?

Sorry.  'Was a word used to apply to' rather than 'meant'?  So 'he is
maggid' rather than 'he is a maggid'?

DWJ's term is 'magid', not 'maggid', and I assume that she deliberately
made a distinction between an already-existing word for an already-existing
concept, and an invented term for an invented position, by altering the
spelling (alphabet being left out of it) and thus the sound the word
presumably makes.  (Like the difference between ragged and raged...)

>......Gili?

Yes, please, Gili!  Is 'maggid' in modern Hebrew a noun or an adjective,
for instance?  'Magic' seems to have become both in English (magic rings
and so forth), which doesn't 'arf confuse the issue.  One wouldn't call a
person 'a magic', though.  Well, one could, but it would look a bit silly.

Minnow