Plagerizing?

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Thu May 15 14:24:25 EDT 2003

<< > Are the storylines in romances really THAT similar? >>

Romance writing is an art form as stylized and artificial as the Comedia del
Arte, using the same kind of stable of stock chatacter "types" and plot
elements. It is the skill of the author to combine them in a configuration
that reads as a "different same" without either being completely trite or
kickingover the traces and becomming else. A very fine balancing act.
Dialogue is usually what keeps it flying in defiance of aerodynamic realities
(like a bumblebee).

Of course, I only read Regencies, so what do I know?