Plagiarizing?

jstallcup at juno.com jstallcup at juno.com
Wed May 14 23:27:07 EDT 2003

Are the storylines in romances really THAT similar?  I haven't read
enough of them to know.  I mean, I do know that there are particular
formulas (formulae?) that have to be followed, or as you say they won't
get picked up.  I don't know... again, I find it hard to define.  It
bothers me that McCullough "borrowed" so freely, but on the other hand, I
think that Clueless is a wonderful update of Emma, and that's the same
basic kind of borrowing.

As an aside, I have to tell you all something that I heard an author say
at a talk on the romance novel once.  Explaining how she became a best
selling writer of these romances, she said that she loved--absolutely
LOVED to read them, and that after reading a 1,000 or so, she figured out
how they worked.

I thought, "It took reading 1,000 to figure that out??????"

Well, maybe it would.  I haven't read 1,000, and certainly if I had, I
would be much more knowledgeable about them than I am now.  But the
remark struck me as funny.