Plagiarizing?

jstallcup at juno.com jstallcup at juno.com
Wed May 14 22:41:11 EDT 2003

Those are good questions... I would say with folklore, it's anything goes
because they are not copyrighted and are in the public domain and they
make use of such basic story elements.  But if someone used something
specifically from Garner's use of a folktale, that would be a problem.

Stickier issues for me are using ideas or passages that are in the public
domain due to the age of the text, but that an individual did come up
with themselves.  For example, there are passages in Joan Aiken novels
that are almost word for word out of 18th c novels (bits of Burney's
Evelina, for example appear in The Smile of the Stranger).  And there's
Colleen McCullough's use in the Ladies of Missalonghi of Montgomery's
basic storyline in the Blue Castle.  I've read both, and there's not a
single line that is the same, but the basic story IS the same.  So, is
that plagiarizing?  Hard to say.

Jackie