I practised beforehand...

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed May 14 18:36:38 EDT 2003

Jon gave a lot of figures for amounts of weaponry:

including
>(I suspect that the
>20tonstnt/person figure was always a considerable
>exageration).

Given the way the USSR's leaders tended to massage
figures to suit them, I'm not sure I'd believe any
amount that included any claim made by them, for
the world's total nuclear arsenal. They did after
all have a certain interest in letting it be known
that if the West lobbed anything their way they
could retaliate with even dirtier nastier stuff
and more of it.  Whether this was true or not
didn't really matter as long as it was believed.
So the old figures may well, as you suggest, have
been rather on the high side.

Minnow