More on Magid

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Wed May 14 16:31:34 EDT 2003

Minnow said...

> Yes.  It's probably rather irritating for an author who goes to the
trouble
> of inventing a good name for a character and then finds out, too late,
when
> it's in print, that their invention already exists and means something
> inappropriate, too.
>
> Aileron springs to mind ever so slightly.

Hee hee.  It is a very good name...if only it weren't for that annoying bit
of an aeroplane...

I've always thought Alenia would be a very good name for a fantasy heroine.
Unfortunately, a rather large aerospace company got there first.

There again, Anne McCaffrey shamelessly stole several Irish placenames to
insert into her book "The Crystal Singer" - most notably, that of the
heroine, Killashandra.  Killeshandra (yes, she changed one letter, and yes,
she has admitted in print where she got the name) is a town in Co. Cavan.

Following Ms. McCaffrey's example, my instant messaging username is
Lissarda - a townland in Co. Cork.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"[My rule] for keeping my temper in order, is never to leave it too long
with another person."
- Horace Walpole