Muggles

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Tue May 13 13:44:21 EDT 2003

Of course, there's always the eerie similarity between Harry Potter
and Tim Hunter, the creation of Neil Gaiman in "The Books of Magic"
comics. A bespectacled, messy haired, 10-year old who finds himself
involved in a world of magic.

Gaiman has, from my memory, reacted in a rather neutral way to the
similarity. A later writer of the series included an
alternate-universe version of Tim that was exactly like Harry (very
briefly).

Then there's Jane Yolen's "Wizard School" which has great similarities as well.

The trouble is, the similarities are generally in things that are, I
think, archetypical: young one discovers world of magic which he/she
is a part of but has been unaware of till now.

>On or about Tue, May 13, 2003 at 09:13:06AM -0700, jackie e stallcup typed:
>
>>Anyway, I had so many students telling me in class that Rowling HAD
>>plagiarized (for whatever reason, students seem to assume that the person
>>bringing the lawsuit must be correct) that I finally had to investigate a
>>bit.
>
>Whatever the merits of the suit, Stouffer's legal team (or Stouffer
>herself - it's not clear) didn't enhance their case by attempting to
>fake evidence of prior publication. See
>http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/2002_09.html#001463
>for a good starting point on this.
>
>Roger
>--

It wasn't only wickedness and scheming that made people unhappy, it
was confusion and misunderstanding; above all, it was the failure to
grasp the simple truth that other people are as real as you.
Ian McEwan Atonement

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net