Muggles

Anna Clare McDuff amcduff at math.sunysb.edu
Tue May 13 11:29:42 EDT 2003

On Tue, 13 May 2003, Charles Butler wrote:

> how it got into the OED only now - because I suppose part of JKR's point was
> that this meaning had been around for years.

	Just one more thing & then I will try to keep my Inner Pedant
under wraps or at least on topic. As far as I recall the Weird Litigant
wasn't disputing the meaning of Muggle, she was claiming she had invented
the word Muggle with a different meaning for some totally-unsuccessful
children's books she had written & then Rowling had evilly stolen it and
added her own Potter-centric meaning. So really all they ought to have had
to do in any sane or rational world is to have sat this litigious woman
down, opened an OED in front of her nose & then bade her to read. But it
didn't work out like that...

	Anna