Muggles

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Tue May 13 09:39:24 EDT 2003

I see that the word 'muggle' has been admitted to the latest edition of the
OED, which is a great victory for, er, something, I guess. Oddly, however,
it is defined not as 'non-magic user' but as 'clumsy or unskilled person.
Why should that be? Perhaps it's used in that sense in playgrounds - 'Don't
be such a muggle!', and so on - but I haven't heard it.

On the other hand, as a left-hander (like DWJ - and there's your obDWJ!) I'm
please to see a non-handist word for clumsiness being introduced. It's bad
enough that the flex comes out the wrong side of the electric iron without
having to put up with maladroit, ambidextrous, sinister and suchlike terms
of oppression.

Charlie