Book reviews

Emma Comerford emmaco at tpg.com.au
Mon May 12 07:01:32 EDT 2003

At 10:31  10/05/03 -0400, johanna wrote:
>Speaking of book recommendations & such, I have to peep my head up out of
>school-induced lurkdom to thank whoever (can't remember) talked up The
>Bone Doll's Twin a few months ago. I spotted it at a used bookstore a few
>weeks ago & read it in about a day & a half. Creepy as anything! I also
>like how the "good guys" do the morally ambiguous thing right at the
>beginning--in a lot of fantasy novels, the questionable action occurs way
>later, so that you've already been won over by the "good guys" & are a bit
>more likely to see their action as a difficult, but necessary sacrifice.
>Putting this at the beginning means you're not really sure if the good
>guys -are- the good guys, & you're less sure that what they did was
>justifiable. At least that's part of what I liked about the book.

I have to chime in here and add my thanks as well. I enjoyed this blurred
line between the goodies and baddies, as well as the careful examinations
of relationships over time. I have since read the three books set in the
future of this world - they were fun, but not as good as _Bone doll's
twin_, I feel. But my brain is not fully functioning tonight and I can't
really articulate why at the moment.

I snatched up a copy of _Bone doll's twin_on sale and have won over another
fan already.

>Also thanks for the warning that it was first in a trilogy--the cover
>makes no mention of it, & I'd've been really annoyed reaching the end
>otherwise! As it is I'm waiting anxiously for July & the next book.

I unfortunately didn't read the warning and screamed with frustration at
the end of the book. However, my birthday is in mid-July and the second
book is on my list of suggested presents (along with the new Fforde,
Evanovich and Rowling books).

Emma