I practised beforehand...

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri May 9 21:15:20 EDT 2003

On Thu, 8 May 2003, Jon Noble wrote:

> --- Paul Andinach <pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

> > I'm feeling a bit lost amid all these F&S
> > references, so if you'll
> > please excuse me I'm going to talk about Tom Lehrer
> > now.
> >
> > There's a Poul Anderson story where the heroes have
> > to mount an
> > expedition into a universe where space is
> > non-Euclidean. To navigate
> > this space, they are entirely dependent on one
> > member of the
> > expedition: he's a mathematician who pioneered the
> > study of hyperbolic
> > geometry, and Nikolai Ivanovich Lobachevsky is his
> > name...
>
> There is another story (quite possibly Anderson again)
> with the line "Lobachevsky published first".

It's the same one, unless there's two with that ending:
"Operation Changeling", the last in the Operation Chaos sequence.

> One day I'll have to get my turntable fixed and transfer my vinyl
> disks to CD.

One advantage of coming relatively late to Lehrer is that one can now
go straight to the CD box set, which has five albums plus additional
material.

(Technically, I suppose, it's only three albums, because the first
four are the live and studio versions of the first two albums - the
third was released only in a live version, I think because it had all
the topical songs on and Lehrer figured people would need the
introductory patter to be reminded what some of them were about.

Speaking of introductory patter, the CDs with the live albums have the
patter at the beginning of each track - which means there's a slight
glitch at one point where Lehrer complicated matters by doing more
patter related to the song he'd just finished; the CD engineers have
treated this as part of the patter for the following song.)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."