Book reviews

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Fri May 9 17:33:35 EDT 2003

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 02:16:31PM +0100, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:

>The Gathering Flame, Debra Doyle and James Macdonald
>A prequel to their main Mageworlds series, showing the parents of the
>protagonists in the later books. Action-packed, enjoyable, some interesting
>conflicts among the characters. I haven't read the rest of the series but
>I'll look for them.

I strongly recommend the rest of the series (same authors), and reading
them in order if possible, since _The Gathering Flame_ gives away
something fairly important about one of the characters in the trilogy:

The Price of the Stars
Starpilot's Grave
By Honor Betray'd
(the initial trilogy)

The Gathering Flame (prequel to the trilogy)
The Long Hunt (sequel to the trilogy)
The Stars Asunder (even earlier prequel)
A Working of Stars (haven't read this one yet)

It's unashamed space opera with a lot of twists - which of course I
can't talk about without giving them away. Let's just say that people
who say "oh, this is just Star Wars with the serial numbers filed off"
are in for a hefty shock. Well-written, interesting and developed
characters, and a consistent universe.

Roger