Book reviews

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Fri May 9 17:21:12 EDT 2003

I have only read two but can second both
recomendations;
--- "Rowland, Jennifer A B"
<jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:

> Death of a Necromancer, Martha Wells

great, I read this one after seeing it recomended on
an another list.
 Is there a genre
> "historical urban
> fantasy"? (I suppose it's like fantasy steampunk.)
> If not, then there ought
> to be,
Gaslight Fantasy perhaps?, I have seen this category
used. It also covers Mieville's "Perdido Street
Station" which I am currently reading and being very
impressed with.

> Eight Skilled Gentlemen, Barry Hughart
> A magical China that never was. Master Li and Number
> Ten Ox investigate a
> murder and find that magical bird-cages and demons
> are involved. Not as
> funny as Bridge of Birds, but very good.

I agree here too. Will have to look out for the
others.

Jon