I practised beforehand...

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Thu May 8 17:08:37 EDT 2003

--- Paul Andinach <pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 7 May 2003 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> I'm feeling a bit lost amid all these F&S
> references, so if you'll
> please excuse me I'm going to talk about Tom Lehrer
> now.
>
> There's a Poul Anderson story where the heroes have
> to mount an
> expedition into a universe where space is
> non-Euclidean. To navigate
> this space, they are entirely dependent on one
> member of the
> expedition: he's a mathematician who pioneered the
> study of hyperbolic
> geometry, and Nikolai Ivanovich Lobachevsky is his
> name...

There is another story (quite possibly Anderson again)
with the line "Lobachevsky published first". While
other listmembers obviously burst into F&S at any
oportunity I do the same with Tom Lehrer. The recent
Iraq war has had me humming his song on the Marines..
"When someone makes a move/ of which we don't approve/
who is it that always intervenes/ UN and OAS?/ they
have their place, I guess/ But first send the
marines.........They've got to be respected/ All their
rights protected/ Until someone we like can be
ellected." Some things are timeless. On another list
we just about had comunal singings of "Werner Von
Braun" for a while" while I've heard that they are
planning a movie about Alma Mahler-Gropius-Werfel. One
day I'll have to get my turntable fixed and transfer
my vinyl disks to CD.
Returning to F&S while I have no recordings I do have
Donald Swann's "posthumous adventure" "Swann's way
out" (written 1975 and thus anticipating a trend later
followed by JRRT and Virginia Andrews who were to
prove that being dead was no hinderance to a
profitable literary career) (of course Donald Swann
wrote his postumous opus while still alive so he could
keep control of it). Swann is a great fan of Lord of
the Rings and wrote the music on "The Road Goes Ever
On" (book and record). One can't help wondering if he
also reads DWJ.

Jon