I practised beforehand...

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu May 8 00:56:57 EDT 2003

On Wed, 7 May 2003 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> Rowena warned:
>
> > BUT they have made a huge mistake on the CDs in how they split
> > the tracks. One of the Great Joys is laughing at the patter
> > before you hear the song ('Battersea!' 'Without having to bend
> > down...') and yet on the CDs they've split the tracks so that
> > they start at the beginning of each song, and you have to listen
> > to the previous one to get the patter. Does that make sense?
>
> What you say makes sense, what they have done does not!

The whole question of what to do with pre-song patter on CDs is
complicated, and probably has no good solution. Some people, in some
circumstances, *want* to jump straight to the song. Another possible
permutation is to have "1. Mud (patter) 2. Mud (song) 3. The Gasman
Cometh (patter) 4. The Gasman Cometh (song)" and so on, but that has
its own problems.

-snip-
> There's a reference to F&S in an obscure comic from fifteen years
> ago called "Redfox".  In it there is an issue (#19) in which the
> Fantasyland heroine ends up in a London-alike parallel world, in
> which she catches a bus which subsequently bursts into song...
> 'Big six-wheeler, diesel-engined, ninety-seven salamander omnibus'
> -- the internal combustion engine in this place is run by
> salamanders -- and as she is thrown off for upsetting the
> salamanders in the engine the conductor says 'Hold very tight
> please' and the sound-effect 'ting ting' appears.

I'm feeling a bit lost amid all these F&S references, so if you'll
please excuse me I'm going to talk about Tom Lehrer now.

There's a Poul Anderson story where the heroes have to mount an
expedition into a universe where space is non-Euclidean. To navigate
this space, they are entirely dependent on one member of the
expedition: he's a mathematician who pioneered the study of hyperbolic
geometry, and Nikolai Ivanovich Lobachevsky is his name...

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."