I practised beforehand...

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Tue May 6 11:04:39 EDT 2003

Oh, I looooove Flanders and Swann.

Happy was the day when a friend gave me a gift certificate to go and
buy the boxed set!

When I did a vocal recital last year, I sang "Ill Wind" (their
version of the Mozart Horn Concerto) which the audience loved.

My partner has never understood my love for F&S. A little "twee" for
his tastes I suppose.

"It's a satellite moon . . . it's a plagiarized tune . . . the duck
on the lake's a decoy . . . there's a sodium glare in the
purifiewahahahahied air . . . and the girl in my arms .  . . is Mable
Figworthy! and if she says 'Oh, really; on more time . . ."

hee hee

ian

>Reading the start of Deep Secret to my father, I realised DWJ also
>quotes from a Flanders&Swann song. F&S are one of those groups Not
>Enough People Know and I am always looking out for references to
>them. (Once I ended up singing snatches at the dining table with our
>college principal which was a surreal experience). Pratchett's Rude
>Mechanicals quote a line in Lords and Ladies, and so does Maree when
>she says to Janine, having passed the driving test, "I practised
>beforehand and ruined your fun", which is from A Song of Patriotic
>Prejudice:
>The English, the English, the English are best,
>I wouldn't give tuppence for all of the rest.
>..
>All over the world, each nation's the same,
>They've simply no notion of playing the game.
>They argue with umpires, they cheer when they've won
>And they practise beforehand which ruins the fun."
>
>At least, the resemblances is striking.
>
>Regards,
>Kathleen Jennings.
>
>--

It wasn't only wickedness and scheming that made people unhappy, it
was confusion and misunderstanding; above all, it was the failure to
grasp the simple truth that other people are as real as you.
Ian McEwan Atonement

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net