I practised beforehand...

Ms Kathleen Jennings s368333 at student.uq.edu.au
Tue May 6 00:54:35 EDT 2003

Reading the start of Deep Secret to my father, I realised DWJ also quotes from a Flanders&Swann song. F&S are one of those groups Not Enough People Know and I am always looking out for references to them. (Once I ended up singing snatches at the dining table with our college principal which was a surreal experience). Pratchett's Rude Mechanicals quote a line in Lords and Ladies, and so does Maree when she says to Janine, having passed the driving test, "I practised beforehand and ruined your fun", which is from A Song of Patriotic Prejudice:
The English, the English, the English are best,
I wouldn't give tuppence for all of the rest.
..
All over the world, each nation's the same,
They've simply no notion of playing the game.
They argue with umpires, they cheer when they've won
And they practise beforehand which ruins the fun."

At least, the resemblances is striking.

Regards,
Kathleen Jennings.