If hosen and shoon thou ne'er gav'st nane

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sun May 4 08:03:28 EDT 2003

Charlie:

>Minnow
>> Oh come on, *someone* must have the complete Child!  Am I going to have to
>> go to the Library?  dashitall, it's *raining* out there!
>
>You mean BU library? Do they have a complete Child? I couldn't find one when
>I looked a couple of years ago.

Putting "Child" and "ballads" into the for-the-proles find-a-book search
thing (Windows) comes up with "no match", but the nice ladies behind the
counter have some esoteric system of their own and it appears there.  They
offered to let me reserve it, but it didn't seem worth hauling it back in
from someone who may be using it for something important for a degree, just
so I could satisfy an idle curiosity.

They purport to have two, in fact, but I have my doubts, and since both are
out with someone I can't check.  Might be a single copy of the two-volume
(rather than two copies of the five-volume, which seems somehow
improbable), in which case I have half available anyway -- just not the
half with the Lyke-Wake Dirge.  :-(

Or I suppose it might be the one-volume thing, two copies of, in which case
it isn't worth bullying someone to return one early just so I can establish
that it isn't really what I want....

Minnow.