Zinka and Deep Secret

Deirdre Behan dbehan at indigo.ie
Sun May 4 03:50:49 EDT 2003

I've come to this discussion late - so someone may have made this point
earlier. The Zinka/Rupert/Simon relationship always disturbed me. I always
thought that Rubert never said anything because there were so many other
things going on that he couldn't really absorb what Simon said to him about
being married. Also if I remember correctly, Simon acknowledges that he
knows Zinka is appreciative of male beauty but says that the pictures she
paints - which Rupert reckons are based on an intimate knowledge of the men
portrayed - are only painted from her imagination. I know that Rupert
doesn't believe this because of the ways that he describes the paintings
when he first sees them in the book - the time when he tells us he and Zinka
have been lovers. I always thought that Rupert was being tactful to Simon.
It's always been pretty clear to me that Zinka and Simon have different
conceptions of what their marriage entails. But that's a whole other story
for another day.

Not a spoiler exactly but a point about The Merlin Conspiracy re Deep Secret
and marriage.
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\

Talking about marriage brings me back to what I thought was one of the
strongest themes in  The Merlin Conspiracy: the number of terrible marriages
that were made between people who clearly should never married but who did
and who went on to have children/grandchildren who then have to unravel the
past in order to make sense of the present - whether it's saving the world
or going on to have happy lives themselves. Of course this is a common YA
theme - and supports the definition of YA literature that was recently
discussed.

What it says to me in terms of Deep Secret is that Simon and Zinka may be
storing up problems for the future. On a wider note, that they all lived
happily ever after is something that doesn't happen in general in
contemporary fiction.

Deirdre