saying magid

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Sat May 3 16:54:38 EDT 2003

In a message dated 5/2/03 11:56:32 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net writes:

> Oh, that's *much* better than the Anti-podes!  I always wondered what a
> pode was that they were so opposed to 'em.
>
> Minnow

I apologize in advance if I've told either of these stories here before!

My brother once told me solemnly that an epi-tome was a little book placed on
top of a big book.

Speaking of things "they" are against, it took me years to figure out what
"nukes" were, in the many bits of graffiti I saw saying NO NUKES. I felt that
graffiti-spraying was inherently a Bad Thing, so if graffiti-sprayers were
objecting to nukes, nukes must be Good Things that were being maligned. I
finally decided they must be homosexuals.

By the way, I think _The Merlin Conspiracy_ has a hit at common
misunderstandings of British terms by Americans, when she mentions a kind of
electric torch (i.e., flashlight) that emits a wavering, flame-like light!

Helen Schinske