Zinka and Deep Secret

Katarina Hjärpe head_overheels at hotmail.com
Sat May 3 06:40:33 EDT 2003

>And one more question from someone who has never had the opportunity to go
>to a con and is very ignorant about these things - what is filking? Please,
>someone?
>
>Kathleen.

Filking is fan-made songs, usually but not always to other people's music.
For example, if I were to write a song to the tune of "We Will Rock You"
calling it "Chrestomanci" (with the chorus "Chrest-o-Chrestomanci", of
course *g*) that would be a filk.

I suppose it could be argued that professional singers filk too – "Hello
Muddah Hello Faddah" could be filking of Ponchielli for example – but that's
not how the word tends to be used.

Katta