If hosen and shoon thou ne'er gav'st nane

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Fri May 2 17:21:14 EDT 2003

Minnow:

>  >>>("Fleet" meant "house-room")
>>>
>>>Also can mean light, right?  I saw the web-page where it was translated as
>>>house-room, but think there are more saying it means light or candle
>>>flame.  But don't take my word for this, Someone will Know.
>
>I have never encountered "fleet" or "flete" as meaning "light"  Where does
>that come from, Hallie?  I don't mean, "what websites", I mean what source
>do they give for it, if any?

I expect this is redundant now, as I'm not keeping up, but I couldn't
find any sites giving sources.  I did, however, find something I'm
sure you'll all appreciate - an essay on The Lyke-Wake Dirge on
Cheathouse.com: 'essays and papers for students'.

This time I saw far more versions giving the line as 'fire and sleet
and candle-leet', which is confusing now that we've sorted it out as
meaning three basic human necessities.

Hallie.