saying magid (was Re: Zinka)

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Fri May 2 15:15:48 EDT 2003

Minnow said...

> jenwa wrote,
>
> >I think I pronounce it like the world magic, only with
> >a D on the end instead of a C.  So with a short A
> >sound and a soft G.
>
> That is how I have heard DWJ say it.

Ah well, guess I'm wrong, then.  I've always pronounced it MA-gid (short A,
hard G, stress on first syllable.  Dunno why, that's just the pronunciation
that leaps from the spelling to my mind.  (Then again, this is the same
mind, that upon first coming across the word "acknowledgements" (aged 9 or
so), pronounced it ack-now-led-JEM-ents, much to the amusement of my
parents.)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--