This "fleet" business

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Fri May 2 05:19:03 EDT 2003

Charlie wrote:
> I think Fleet Street (ditto the prison) are named after the
> River Fleet, which flows alongside (or probably now under) them.
> And that, I always assumed, is called Fleet as in 'fast'.

AKA the Open Sewer Fleet, after London had sprung up around it. Now
enclosed, like the Ty-burne and many others. Kathleen's definition from the
OED "flete/fleet as a place where water flows/creek/run of water (earliest
use: c893)" makes me think this is another of the "River River" names, like
all the River Avons.
Jennifer