This "fleet" business

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at
Thu May 1 20:29:22 EDT 2003

--- Robyn Starkey <rohina at> wrote:
> Okay, just checked the MED.
> "flet" is a noun, meaning "(a) The paved floor of a
> room or hall, floor; 
> into the ~, to the ground; (b) a room or hall with a
> paved floor; room, 
> hall; a dwelling, living quarters, a home."

The word "flet" appears in Lord of the Rings, in
Lothlorien where it says [at the top of a mallorn]
'there had been built a wooden platform, or flet as
such things were called in those days" I presume JRRT
knew some other, related, meaning for the word.


Do you Yahoo!?
The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo.
To unsubscribe, email dwj-request at with the body "unsubscribe".
Visit the archives at

More information about the Dwj mailing list