This "fleet" business

Anna Clare McDuff amcduff at math.sunysb.edu
Thu May 1 18:51:39 EDT 2003

On Thu, 1 May 2003, Robyn Starkey wrote:

> Okay, just checked the MED.
>
> "flet" is a noun, meaning "(a) The paved floor of a room or hall, floor;
> into the ~, to the ground; (b) a room or hall with a paved floor; room,
> hall; a dwelling, living quarters, a home."

	Hence I believe Fleet Street. Not entirely sure about that, but
it's what I always assumed. Very dangerous to make assumptions here in
London though, where perfectly respectable, though rather dreary,
neighborhoods can rejoice in names like Elephant And Castle!  Some people
say this is what happens when you name pubs The Infanta De Castille near
Cockneys, but other people disagree loudly, so... <inner pedant tears hair
out>

> Which explains the origin of the "house-room" theory, but not what it means
> in the context. I didn't find any meanings which equate to "light" although
> there is one context in which it can mean skimming milk.

	House room makes sense to me because if you were listing nice
comforting In Period things one might desire when walking abroad on a
truly dark & stormy night, fire (for warmth), house-room (for shelter) and
candlelight (to see by) would probably top the list. They didn't have
bubblebaths or even plentiful hot cups of tea back then :-).

	Anna