If hosen and shoon thou ne'er gav'st nane

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Thu May 1 18:16:25 EDT 2003

This ae nighte, this ae nighte,
   -- Every nighte and alle,
  Fire and fleet and candle-lighte,
   And Christe receive thy saule.

>>("Fleet" meant "house-room")
>
>Also can mean light, right?  I saw the web-page where it was translated as
>house-room, but think there are more saying it means light or candle
>flame.  But don't take my word for this, Someone will Know.

I have to ask, if you think it means "house-room", what do you think the
line means in the poem? Seriously, "fire and house-room and candlelight"
not making a lot of sense to me. The meaning of "light" makes more obvious
sense, and I also like the meaning of "fleet" as in something transient,
passing, moving swiftly - ie fleeting. I would check the Middle English
Dictionary for the origins of the "house-room" interpretation, but I
haven't got a password at the moment.

Robyn