YA/Children's/Adult Books

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Thu May 1 17:27:42 EDT 2003

--- HSchinske at aol.com wrote:
> Standard Time,
> owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net writes:
>

> > On Monday 28 April 2003 19:55, Anna Clare McDuff
> wrote:
> >
> > >  What if books were managed the way we manage
> films
> > > and there was an official authority that graded
> them all by age &
> > > made it illegal for a child to read a book with
> an age grading higher
> > > than their chronological age? I, for one, would
> despair...
> >

> The librarian in my mother's home town did this. If
> you were in the fourth
> grade, you could not check out books from the fifth
> grade shelf. Torture. I
> don't know what happened if adults wanted to check
> out children's books, and
> why everyone didn't ask their parents to cheat for
> them, if so.
>
> Said librarian was immortalized in my mother's book
> _Who is Victoria?_ (about
> which a great many children's librarians promptly
> rose up and said, "Who do
> you think buys your books anyway, what do you mean
> putting such a horrible
> librarian in there!").
>
> Helen Schinske

I suspect that I've just found my predecessor
immortalised in fiction. In Alyssa Brugmann's "Walking
Naked" there is a truely horrible librarian who chases
all students out of the library. The author is a
former student of the school I teach out. I have shown
the passage to a former student who is sure that its
her.

Jon