If hosen and shoon thou ne'er gav'st nane

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Thu May 1 09:36:09 EDT 2003

>On Thu, 1 May 2003, Kathleen Jennings wrote:
>
>>  And at 6 this evening I had an "aha" moment and suddenly realised what Maree
>>  meant in Deep Secret when, on the road to Babylon, she said "Fire and flete
>>  and candlelight". A bit embarassing, actually as I have had the Lyke-Wake
>>  Dirge stuck in my head for weeks now. "If hosen and shoon thou ne'er gav'st
>>  nane / - Every night and alle, / The whinnes sall prick thee to the bare
>>  bane...".
>
>	I *love* the way she has used the Dirge. The way Maree returns
>from Babylon wearing the ratty old skirt and top Rupert first met her in
>and she'd carefully replaced so she could go to the con with a nice new
>outfit, and Nick's post-Babylon duds are obviously Very Old Indeed & much
>too small for him. Very subtle, very clever, very apt. Janine never struck
>me as the kind of person who'd donate much to charity shops and of course
>Young Master Nick wouldn't think of any such thing... actually that left
>me more wondering just how come he *had* got clothes... I wouldn't put it
>past him to have heard the Dirge & donated some Just In Case. I think he
>would be safe on the meat & drink front, as he's not mean, just a bit
>selfish...

As you've said this, it just popped into my head that Nick would
definitely be the type who'd happily pass things on to his mates
(that 'my mother/father's paying for it anyway' generosity so beloved
of teens!).

>And just in case anyone is thinking "Huh?" I'll paste the Dirge
>below...

Great minds. :-)  I printed out a version and tucked it into Deep
Secret (along with Charlie's pictures of the Bristol suspension
bridge)  before sending it off on its journey - around the world,
winning new friends (and it IS!  Everyone so far has loved it.).  Ok,
it's still in the UK now, but it'll be going to the Netherlands, and
Finland and New Zealand afterwards.   (Bookcrossing.com, for those
who have joined since I last burbled about this here.)

>("Fleet" meant "house-room")

Also can mean light, right?  I saw the web-page where it was
translated as house-room, but think there are more saying it means
light or candle flame.  But don't take my word for this, Someone will
Know.

Hallie.